Survivor Highlight: Bill Copple


Hello there, to those who may not have seen me at B.R.A.I.N. sessions, my name is Bill Copple. I have had a very interesting life but I am still going. I started at B.R.A.I.N. with the intent to offer assistance to other survivors and be an example that you can continue on. My first introduction to the B.R.A.I.N. program was by attending an alumni session at the traumatic head injury get together at my community college that I had attended. They mentioned that B.R.A.I.N. was going to hold a session and I wanted to meet other individuals that had survived a head injury and be a model to those people about surviving on to live a functional life. This was about 17 or 18 years after my first head injury. I went to that first seminar and then they started the F.B.I. program at Cypress. At that time I was still doing pretty well, I hadn’t started riding a motorcycle again quite yet but I did end up letting Sue know that I had the desire to write a book about the first injury I had. I started going to B.R.A.I.N. and kept up with my goal setting and doing what I had to do to keep going. I wrote my book which I have a sold a few copies to other participants at our meetings and I still had the desire to assist others, so B.R.A.I.N. continued to be a good place to keep myself going. 

I kept my job at the time but I still had the desire to offer myself up as an example for others who might be having difficulties adjusting or even just coming to terms with their own head injury so B.R.A.I.N. was where I stayed. I seemed to be getting past the statistical phenomena that I was going to have any more head injuries but then I turned 38, and my second injury happened. I had my first injury 4 days before turning 19 years old and then, about six months after I turned 38, I had my second injury. It was on a bicycle this time, still two wheels but not quite as fast as a motorcycle, so I didn’t have the severeness of falling over a cliff this time but it still had some disastrous effects. My brain did develop a bleed but I was only in the hospital for about a month this time, vs. the 3 month coma of my first incident. I had to relearn how to walk again and function but I kept going. I starting to attend at F.B.I. again after the summer break was over. That second accident wasn’t nearly as drastic as my first one but it did have a little bit of a lasting effect. I had my third head injury about eight months later. It wasn’t nearly as bad physically speaking as my first two but I have been unable to work again and things have just gotten progressively worse mentally speaking but I am still involved with B.R.A.I.N. I still have the goal of being an inspiration for others and seeing what I can do to continue on. It ain’t easy but I am living proof that life won’t deliver more than you can TRULY handle!